ROCHESTER, NY – RIT senior outside attackers Katie hobler and Taylor higgins scored 13 kills each to lead the Tigers to a 3-0 sweep (25-23, 25-11, 25-13) against the visiting Union on Friday in women’s Liberty League volleyball action.
HOW DID IT HAPPEN
- RIT opened a 14-11 lead in the first set, but Union responded with a 5-0 run to build a 16-14 advantage. The Tigers scored two in a row, but the Dutch managed another 5-0 streak to lead, 21-16. RIT resumed the game with their own 5-0 streak, started with two kills from Higgins and ended with three consecutive serve aces by the first-year defensive specialist Hailey blixt. Tied 23-23, back-to-back wins for Higgins and Hobler rounded off the Tiger’s comeback.
- RIT opened up a 7-4 second lead before a decisive 9-2 streak, with two kills each by senior center tackle Higgins Calista Gasper and Hobler, gave Tiger a 16-6 advantage who rose to 14 twice on the home stretch.
- RIT used an 8-0 run to open a 10-3 lead in the third set. The Tiger’s lead went to nine on several occasions as RIT put the game out of reach.
- Higgins landed 12 kills on 17 swings without committing an error in the first two sets, ending the night with an attack percentage of 0.522.
- First year ferryman Sydney neff totaled 34 assists while leading RIT to a team hitting percentage of .378.
- Senior Kianna Walker has been credited with 11 recoveries.
RIT look to extend their six-game unbeaten streak on Saturday, welcoming Liberty League rivals Skidmore at 2:00 p.m.