Ventura County Star
Highlights from Wednesday in high school sports:
- Thousand Oaks swept away Newbury Park 25-16, 25-21, 25-23 to claim his first absolute Marmonte League title in head coach Seth Burnham’s 12 seasons. Matthew Snyder had six kills and four blocks, Alex Torreblanca finished with 25 assists, five blocks, four digs and an ace, Oliver Herron had seven kills, six digs and one block, Tyler Linville had six kills , four blocks, five digs and an ace, and Braden Gonzales had 12 digs and an assist for the Lancers (19-7, 9-1). Last Friday, the Lancers beat second place Calabasas 25-16, 19-25, 25-10, 25-18 to help position them to win the league championship. Linville had 15 kills, 11 digs and six blocks, Torreblanca had 41 kills, six blocks, 13 digs and two kills, Gonzales had 27 kills, Herron had 12 kills, 10 digs and two blocks, Ben Greenberg had seven kills, six blocks and four digs, and Snyder had three kills, four blocks and two digs.
- West Lake defeated oak christian 25-10, 25-19, 25-19 to finish third in the Marmonte League with a 7-3 record.
- Moor park, Simi Valley and Royal attended a Coastal Canyon League tri-meet. For Moorpark, who clinched their first championship title since 2014, Jordan Navarro won the 110 hurdles (17.24). Kade Larson won the shot put (47-06.50) and the discus (148-02). Carson Melzer won the pole vault (12-0). For Simi Valley, Jaelon Barbarin won the 100 (11.12) and 200 (22.20). Jacob Ponce won the 300 hurdles (44.87). Joey Nations won the long jump (21-01.25) and the high jump (6-02). For Royal, Jonah Bazerkanian won the 400 (51.12) and 1600 (4:23.15). Noah De la rionda won the 800 (1:58.95) and the 3200 (12:00). Garrett Ream won the triple jump (39-08).
- The Tri-Valley League held a league meet at Moorpark High. For St. Bonaventure, Koy Mortensen won the 110 hurdles (17.99) and the 300 hurdles (44.83). Trevor McCarthy won the 100m (10.80). Christian Diaz won the 200m (22.69). Andrew Driver won the high jump (5-06). Kayden Brewer won the shot put (43-0). Robert Hernandez won the disc (120-05). For Sainte-Paule, Diego Rodriguez won the 1600 (4:33.14). For Thacher, Ellis Delvecchio won the 800m (1:54.02). For Foothill Technology, Aidan Hagerty won the pole vault (14-0) and Shawn Gerk won the triple jump (38-11). For Kate, Justin Musyimi won the 400m (55.89) and the long jump (19-10.25). Sebastian Sutch won the 3200m (10:37.92).
- Moor park, Simi Valley and Royal participated in a Coastal Canyon League triple meet at Royal High. For Moorpark league champion Sabrina Kievman won the 800 (2:27.51). Samantha Maggiora won the 1600m (12:43.34). Mieko Kadosono won the 100m hurdles (16.78) and the long jump (15-11). Caitlyn Berger won the 300 hurdles (49.21). Natalie Rivera won the disc (103-0). Madeleine Waters won the pole vault (7-06). For Royal, Janet Gonzalez won the 400 (59.92). Leanna Olivas won the 1600 (5:31.65). Jenna Valencia won the shot put (30-06). Delaney Schultze won the high jump (5-02). Quincie Richards won the disc (31-09.50). For Simi Valley, Rayven Hoilett won the 100 (13.23) and 200 (26.77).
- The Tri-Valley League held a league meet at Moorpark High. For Foothill Technology, Charys Pyle won the 100 hurdles (18.64) and the 300 hurdles (52.12). Lily Shadden won the high jump (4-08). Jolie Steur won the pole vault (8-0). Maycie Duston won the shot put (27-0) and the discus (83-04). For Sainte-Paule, Lindsey Ramirez won the 800 (2:34.01) and the 1600 (5:41.40) and Lisette Magana won the 400 (58.28) and the triple jump (30-10). For Kate, Kennedy Kirkland won the 100 (12.40), the 200 (26.09) and the long jump (15-07.50). Kendall Thorne won the 3200m (13:21.38).
- Peter Lynch allowed five hits while striking out two in six scoreless innings, Matthew Witkow and Tyler Shulman each went 2 for 3, and Sam Grunberg, Jordan Jaffe and Jacob Triessl had RBIs to lead Calabasas (16-4, 9-2) to a 5-0 win over Newbury Park in a Marmonte League game. Cole Miller went 2-for-4 for the Panthers (11-9, 4-7).
- Jaden Onaca allowed two hits and a run in a comprehensive win, Elijah Clayton, Patrick Chute and Royce Clayton Jr. each had a brace, and Joseph Steventon had a hit and an RBI to lead. oak christian to a 2-1 win over Agoura (10-10, 5-6) in a Marmonte League match.
- Vinny Neilson hit a grand slam, Yahir Garcia had an RBI single and Daniel Morge pitched 4.1 innings to take the win on the mound as Thousand Oaks defeated West Lake 7-3 in a Marmonte League game.
- Carter Johnson didn’t allow a hit while striking out 10 with just one walk in six innings to lower his season ERA to 1.26 and went 3 for 4 with a double at home plate, Owen Zahn finished 3 in 3 with a double and three RBI, Hunter Watkins was 3 for 5 with a double and an RBI, and Conner Hilbert was 2 for 3 with two RBIs in the lead Grace Brothers to a 10-3 win over Foothill Technology in a Tri-Valley League game. Mason Reid went 3 for 5 with a brace and Mason Goulart had a brace for the Lancers (11-9, 6-0).
- Nicolette Hunter struck out five batters in 5.2 innings for the victory in the circle and hit a solo homer in the top of the 10th inning to lift Rio Mesa to a 3-2 win in 10 innings Oxnard in a Pacific View League game. Marianna Palazuelos was 2 for 4 with an RBI, Hailey Olivera went 3 for 5, Sarah Coccillos went 2 for 3 with an RBI, and Jasmine Reyes allowed an earned run while striking out five in 4.1 innings for the Spartans first place (17-6, 12-0). Maricela Ipatzi pitched all 10 innings, Alexandria Gutierrez was 2-for-5 with two RBIs, and Madison Smith went 2-for-5 for the Yellowjackets (12-5-3, 9-2).
- Nick Waldock was the medalist with a 1 of 72 and Jared Abercrombie shot a 76 to lead oak christian (9-2, 6-2) for a 383-394 victory Thousand Oaks in a Marmonte League match at Sterling Hills Golf Club. Gavin McCormick shot a 76 for the Lancers (8-6, 4-5).
- Buena defeated West Ranch 6 1/2-2 1/2 in a Ryder Cup-style scoring match at Olivas Links Golf Course. The pairings of Adam Anderson and Evan Kuske and Brady McHenry and Christian McGrath won their games for the Bulldogs.
- The Queen defeated Villanova preparation 85-48. Maddy Tomich won the 200m freestyle and 100m butterfly. Nyrie Krumian won the 50 freestyle. Ashley Rush, who officially signed to swim at Whitworth University in Washington earlier in the day, won the 100 freestyle. Zsofia Kovacs won the 500m freestyle. Sophia Leal won the 200 QNI and the 100 backstroke.
- Newbury Park defeated West Lake 19-7 to improve to 5-0 in the Marmonte League.
- oak christian defeated Calabasas 16-4 in a Marmonte League match.